Bioelectronic medicine pioneer, ElectroMedical Technologies, announces enhanced platform, WellnessPro Plus to Expand Treatment Applications for Chronic and Acute Pain
WellnessPro Plus delivers faster, longer lasting pain relief unlike other TENS devices
SCOTTSDALE, Ariz. – Dec. 7, 2016 – Bioelectronic medicine pioneer, ElectroMedical Technologies, announced its newest portable bioelectronic medicine device WellnessPro Plus for consumers and healthcare professionals to manage chronic and acute pain.
WellnessPro Plus substantially enhances the WellnessProâ platform by expanding the treatment modalities available in a single device. The announcement is part of the company’s aggressive plans to grow the company, attract new distributors and roll out new products during the next 12-18 months.
The WellnessPro line of products represents the industry’s first intelligent portable bioelectronic therapy platform, which unlike other TENS devices, delivers faster, longer lasting pain relief based on a proprietary technology DeepPulseTM. WellnessPro is used by sports medicine, chiropractic, natural health, physiotherapy and pain management practitioners in the treatment of chronic and acute pain and is available directly from its website (www.electromedtech.com) or through its international network of distributors.
“According to the American Academy of Pain Medicine, at least 100 million Americans suffer from chronic pain, not including acute pain for children, which translates into an annual United States healthcare cost between $560 and $635 billion,” said Mathew Wolfson, chief executive officer and founder of ElectroMedical Technologies. “Imagine a world where it were possible to treat pain using safe electrical signals, without pills and the associated side effects. That is the world we imagined more than 10 years ago, inside our mission for improving global wellness. A new era is emerging in the management of chronic illness and we feel privileged to be part of the future of medicine.”
Bioelectronic medicine brings together electronics and biology for the treatment of disease and pain and is well established with pacemakers in use since the 1930’s and the first transcutaneous electrical nerve stimulation (TENS) device patented in 1974. The field has recently seen more attention with announcements such as British pharmaceutical giant GlaxoSmithKline and Google's parent company Alphabet forming a new company, Galvani Bioelectronics, to develop bioelectronic medicine devices. The increased interest in bioelectronic medicine is explained in part by the facts that an average new drug takes 10 years and $2.6 billion to get from lab to pharmacy, according to industry group PhRMA.
Appearing in the Wall Street Journal, July 2016, Kevin Tracey, president and chief executive officer of the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, commented “we live in a pharmacocentric culture today, where the world revolves around a drug for everything in a trillion-dollar pharmaceutical industry,” he says. “But when I talk to patients…people don’t want to take drugs.” According to the Feinstein Institute, “bioelectronic medicine is a scientific discipline that brings together molecular biology, neurophysiology, neurotechnology and analytics to develop nerve-stimulating technologies to regulate the molecular targets underlying disease.This approach promises to deliver therapies superior to pharmaceuticals in terms of efficacy, safety, and cost, without significant side effects.”
The field of biolectronic medicine is focused on fighting diseases by delivering targeted electrical signals into the body and utilizing existing nervous-system connections linking the brain to every part of the body. ElectricalMedical’s WellnessPro platform stimulates the peripheral nerves that send information about touch and vibration. The signals from the stimulated nerves interfere with pain signals traveling to the brain which reduces the brain’s perception of pain, and stimulate naturally occurring pain relievers (e.g. dopamine).
Unlike implantable bioelectronic medicine devices planned by Galvani Bioelectronics and supplied by Medtronic - among the world's largest medical technology, services and solutions companies - WellnessPro Plus is a portable device, distinguished by several important product capabilities:
- Faster, Longer Lasting Relief. DeepPulse is a proprietary algorithm for delivering frequencies using specific rotational patterns and pulse duration to penetrate deeper into affected areas. This innovative technology prevents a known biological occurrence, referred to as accommodation, where the body adapts to specific treatments, diminishing treatment effectiveness over time. Accommodation occurs with the majority of TENS devices.
- Broadest Treatment Application. WellnessPro Plus has the largest frequency range in its class and therefore has the broadest application for conditions that cause pain including cancer, arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, neurological disorders, spinal cord injuries, joint and back pain, among others.
- Simple to Use. WellnessPro Plus comes pre-programmed with more than 900 ‘Autocodes’, corresponding with specific conditions (e.g. Rheumatoid Arthritis). Users simply need to enter a desired code and press Start. Autocodes are complemented by an iGuide system which walks users through all the steps required for usage when programming is required.
- Physician Integration. StimCardTM, unique to WellnessPro bioelectronic devices, allows physicians to create, backup and store personalized patient programs with innovative capabilities and new features planned in 2017.
- Global Certifications. FDA-cleared, European Union, ISO and HealthCanada Certified, with Mexico COFEPRIS certification pending.